- You´ve got to have patience. Things can take time. Everything will be ok. This too shall pass. You can´t be great without practicing. Don´t give up.
Things we easily say to our kids and friends, but how good are we at the skill of patience and trust when it comes to ourselves? I, for sure, can be very impatient when it comes to reaching my goals for example. With regular mindfulness practice, I´ve been getting better at cultivating those habits of patience and trust, I´ve also had a long story with physical pain that has forced me to get stronger in these areas. Trusting the changing seasons in life. Being able to stay with the uncomfortable or itchy feelings when I want to rush ahead. These skills are useful to have when you´re looking for a new job or partner (on it´s way!), want better health (physical and mental wounds sometimes need time to heal) or when you just feel things are going toooo slow (don´t give up, my friend, it might be just around the corner!)
Everything will be ok. This too shall pass. And don´t forget to leave room for magic.
So here´s my nine tips for cultivating a little patience and trust in life.
- Meditate. There´s been nothing better for my patience than meditation. To sit with whatever arises in the moment, not rushing or acting on every thought that comes to mind.
- Write down a list of things in the past that worked out, but took a little longer than you thought. A lot of times the thing we long for will come our way, but not precisely when we want it to come.
- Watch a toddler when they learn to walk. The patience of falling and getting up again. And again, and again, and again.
- Write down all the reasons why you shouldn´t give up. What are the wins for trusting the process?
- Watch the magic in nature. Have you seen the transformation in spring? How we can trust that every year the seemingly dead winter trees suddenly start to bloom. In the same way, our lives have seasons. There´s a time to plant and a time to harvest, even in our lives.
- Get some romodels. Read the stories of the people who didn´t give up. In this social media life, it´s easy to think people are an overnight success, which is rarely the case. Find some real people with real stories who didn´t give up.
- Visualize and affirm like it´s already here. Do moodboards, visualizations, affirmations or anything that can make you feel that what you want is already here. Get into the state of receiving. Be open to people and opportunities coming your way.
- Let go of control. What if things can move forward smoothly without you controlling all the details?
- Enjoy what is here now! If we can´t appreciate the good things we already have, waiting for the next might not be necessary, cause then we will want the next thing after that as well. Always on the hunt for what we think will make us happy. What if what you´re looking for is already here?
Have a great day!